4/12/2009

The Life & Times of J-P. Williams

this blog is to commemorate the life and times of a special lady in my life. This woman who i feel raised me for the significant portion of my life. Not anything against my mother because i love my mother like crazy more than i ever did, but just recognizing the fact that when i was growing up, the only thing i remember about my mother was her sleeping during the day and waking up to go to work during the night. But the woman who i speak of that fed me, spent time with me, took me to church even when i didn't want to, and basically was that lady to be around is Jean Patricia Williams; my grandmother. (i think that's how you spell it) in a big ass pot on the floor. I remember eating shit like pigfeet and "black pudding" with no problem. Nowadays, you coudnt catch me eating shit like that. Let me tell you something about "black pudding"... it's not pudding at all! (lol) I remember her always driving this green car that eventually got so bad, she would have me pour water on the floor because the bottom of the car would overheat (FACT!). I remember the days that i used to put rollers in her hair and she literally would wear them outside nd brag about how her grandson did her hair. She was the only person known to man to use the phrase "These children are for the birds!" when she was angry. Til this day i still dont know what that mean but have interpreted it to mean something not good (lol).

I missed 283 Putnam Avenue because when my grandmother alive, i felt the whole family
basically lived in that house. From my moms, to both my sisters, my cousins, my aunties and of course my grandma. My family reminds me of the movie Soul Food, but you remember the part where big momma died and the whole family vibe just dissapeared, well that's kinda like my family almost just the drama never ceased. I probably went through worst or will go through worst moments, but in my opinion, i believe the worst news i got in my life was hearing my grandma passed away. it was on April 11th 1995 when me and my cousin got the news. That day is almost significant to me because i feel since her passing, i have never cried emotionally since. I mean, tears have come out of my eyes since, but only when the wind blow in my eyes, or when i have allergies. Well im not gonna sit here and mourn but instead celebrate the life she lived, the people she influenced and the people she raised to be great individuals.

Letter to the G'ma:

I Love you Jean and even though i might not mention you
everyday of my life, i do remember you and will never forget that you were someone very special to me. I wish you were still here enjoying yourself on this Earth but im sure you're way better off in the sky where God wants you to be. If you're looking down over me, make sure that you lead me in ways of good decisions at the same time, i will do my best to lead myself with the consciousness to do good by you. I want you to also watch over your daughter Faith, who since you passed, has been trying to keep good in raising me. It was a rough start throughout my teenage years but ever since i left for college, i think its been on a good road. You left this earth in your 60's and i realize my mother is somewhat there. Im just giving the love she deserves because i would hate to see her leave as well (God forbid). In your image you have instilled some form of you in all of your children. Joy has your old fashioned ways, Faith carries on your Christianity and independent character, Abby holds the essence of your good cooking and Maria maintains the good heart to be available and service to the community of all age groups. So in a way, you haven't left us at all now that i think about it. We all miss you and despite the disfunction, misunderstandings and confusion, we're all for each other in your name.
This lady was 100% Bajan. I can remember far back as her stirring Cou-Cou
Love like crazy,
your Grandchild
Bobby Clayton Chappelle Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do the WRITE thing